In case you’re wondering, I posted this pic because I feel the cat ears totally lend me credibility to be doing any kind of tutorial 🙂 Also, the super hot guy in a kilt pic I used for a private tutorial hasn’t been bought by me, so I can’t use it here (trust me, it’s WAY better).
Alright, so Word Swag – this is a handy dandy little tool to create memes whether for promo or fun or just for your own personal use. Here’s my assessment of it and how to use it
Quick way to put text on a picture you have saved on your phone
Easy to use
Not a free app (I think it’s $3.99)
Mobile/iPad app only (can’t be done on a computer)
Not many available backgrounds
You only get one line of text
Directions after you’ve purchased the Word Swag app and are on the main screen:
- To start, ensure you have the picture you want to use in your photo album on your phone.
- You have three options to choose from
- A camera image – this will allow you to take a new picture you’ll use for the background.
- A Polaroid pic image – this will allow you to scroll through your stored pictures to select the one you’d like to use for your background or choose from their generic background options. *This will most likely be the option you’ll choose.
- To select your own photo from your photo album on your phone, select the “CAMERA ROLL” option at the upper right hand corner.
- Yes, allow Word Swag to have access to your photos if you haven’t already done so. (it will not EVER randomly post pics of your stuff online, so don’t worry about allowing it access).
- Select the photo album where the pic you want to use is stored.
- Click on the picture you want to use. It will automatically show in the app now.
- You can either adjust the screen where you want the photo to be cropped to a square or you can select “DON’T CROP” in the upper right hand corner to leave as is. Either way is fine J
- Double tap the text to bring up the area you can write what you’d like to. Hint: keep it brief as it can look too cluttered with words.
- *Note: Word Swag will put a break in your words wherever the Word Style puts it. You can put your own break in there (for example, I wanted ‘Word Swag’ separated from ‘Madeline Martin’s Guide to’ here) by locating the ‘Auto Line Breaks Off’ option on the black far in the center of the screen and pushing the little black ball to the right, so it should now say ‘Auto Line Breaks On’ so wherever you go to a new line, so too will Word Swag.
- When you’ve typed out what you want to say, touch the ‘SAVE AND CLOSE’ option
- Now you can play with the type of word style you want. J On the screen you’ll see four important components:
- At the very bottom of the screen, you’ll see numbers 1-5 and a pair of dice. These are the different ways the word style will show on your picture (five styles or the dice icon which stands for random)
- Above the line of numbers and dice is a line of different word styles. Touch the word styles and numbers to see what works best for your image. *Note: you can resize, move and turn (diagonal) the words on the screen by touch
- Above the word styles, you’ll see a black bar with the options Style (goes back to the word style options from the choosing font color option), font color, or background image.
- The image itself and how it will look with each of your changes.
- Select ‘DONE’ from the upper right hand corner and the picture will be saved to your camera roll where you can then e-mail or share on social media as you would with any other picture on your phone.
And here’s a fun example of how you can someday use it to embarrass your kids. (because how could I not include this gem)